咕咾四色豆 Sweet and sour 4 beansPosted: April 26, 2012
Written on Jan. 17, 2009
This is a veganized version of a very traditional Chinese dish: sweet and sour pork.
- 3 cups four bean salad – chickpeas, green beans, wax beans, red kidney beans
- 2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used red bell pepper here, but the dish will look prettier with yellow bell pepper)
- 3 clove garlic, slightly smash
- vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp cassava starch or potato starch
- 6 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp ketchup
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cassava starch or potato starch
- Drain the four bean salad
- Mix cassava starch and flour, coat the the beans with the powder mixture.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil, deep fry the beans for 30 sec, and put them on the paper towel to absorb the excessive oil
- Deep fry the beans again for about 30 sec., so now they are golden crispy
- In a wok, heat up 2 tbsp oil. With the highest heat, saute the garlic for 30 sec. Put in the red bell pepper, saute them until they are almost cooked.
- Put in ketchup, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, water, stir to mix all the ingredient well. Sift in cassava starch, stir quickly so it doesn’t clump together.
- Turn off the heat, put in the fried beans. Mix well and make sure the sauce is absorbed by the beans.
Note: If you don’t have 4 bean salad, just use r cans of whatever beans or peas you like. And increase the vinegar to 1 1/2 tbsp.